Control arm bushings have and always will be a pain in the a** to replace. The Dana 30 axle is very popular on both older and modern Jeeps within the last 30 or so years. Because Jeep uses rubber bushings instead of polyurethane, they are guaranteed to corrode over time. So what do you do? REPLACE THEM!
If you’re true “Do it yourself” kind of person this is the type of install you only want to do once. Because rubber bushings corrode we recommend replacing all bushings and bumpstops with polyurethane. We have a video showing how to replace the bushings along with inserting a new poly bushing into the old metal sleeve. This because the bushing will not fit into the axle control arm mount without it. Its a fairly simple process but can take some time to get it installed.
Lighter or Starter
Drill and bit
Step 1: Using the drill make several holes in the rubber outside of the metal sleeve. This will take some time so its best to overdo it than underdo it with the drilling.
Step 2: With pliers, you should have drilled out enough to yank out the metal sleeve in the middle.
Step 3: With the butane torch start to burn rubber on the inside. Use pliers please we don’t need you burning your hands… When we were making the video I found a block of wood or somewhere flat I could hit the bushing on the ground in order to break off the charred bits of rubber on the inside.
Step 4: Once burned to a crisp take the chisel and scrape out any excess rubber until you have hit the bare metal part of the sleeve.
Step 5: With a hammer or press insert polyurethane Dana 30 bushing into the metal sleeve.
It seems pretty straightforward, however, we won’t be writing about how to replace your control arms in this article. Be sure to check out the video and don’t forget to subscribe to our youtube channel!
Over the last week or so the WJ has been having some overheating problems that prevented the car from running correctly (check out our youtube channel for more info). We started with first changing the thermostat assembly including the sensor. This had no effect on it but it was good to change because of the high mileage of the vehicle. Then we noticed the radiator fan wasn’t coming on at all. So we tested it with some wire hooked up to the battery and lo and behold it was broken. If you’ve ever attempted to try and change the radiator fan let me recommend a couple of things. There are four bolts that connect the assembly to the front grille. One, however, is a beast to loosen. We recommend buying this flexible socket extension.
After some debating, we decided because we were going to have the front part of the engine completely exposes we might as well change a couple of other parts as well. Including
These were pretty easy parts you can get from your local auto parts store or buy online depending on the urgency of the fix. We bought ours at Napa because its my daily driver. Once we received the radiator fan we plugged it right in and things got working again.
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO?
In the event, something like this happens to you on your Jeep (fingers crossed it doesn’t) here is how we fixed it.
First and foremost you should always check and make sure the radiator has coolant. Not in the bottle but actually in the radiator! You would be surprised.
Second, change the thermostat and sensor. Replacing the housing is optional. The thermostat controls how much coolant enters the system.
Third change the water pump. Because its an active and moving component of the vehicle the bearing might go bad, you may find your self with a leak or just a malfunction. This will cause your temperature gauge to go off if you treated. (Check out our video on how to install).
All in all a successful weekend of working on the WJ. It definitely wasn’t one of my favorite installs but we got the job done regardless and she runs like a champ.
We decided to upgrade from our 95 Jeep Cherokee 2WD to something a little more practical. By purchasing a used Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ. It came with 182K miles and a plethora of problems, leaks, interior issues and much more. It’s the 4.0L V6 4×4 and since its purchase we’ve put about 11K miles on it, sitting at around 193K miles. It certainly wasn’t our first choice of Jeeps by any means, but we were in the market for something newer and the ad came up for this Jeep and we took it knowing it would be a project. If you’re subscribed to our youtube channel you will have seen the last several uploads have been me fixing my WJ…Its had this rough idling problem that started a couple of months ago. We have replaced the fuel injectors, ignition coil, throttle body position sensor, spark plugs and nothing has seemed to work. The next thing we’d like to try is replacing the IAC (Idle Air Control Valve) because it stutters mostly when its parked or stopped. Despite all the problems its given me, we have done some pretty cool stuff to it. (Video coming soon)
WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO TO IT?
Over the last couple of months, this car has needed major engine work done to it. The plan will be over the next several weeks, and especially in the summer, we will be focused on suspension and exterior upgrades. This means tires, lift kit, fenders, roof rack, light bars, decals, and anything we find that might be worthy of installing. A couple months back I went and purchased some used tires because we weren’t sure if we were gonna keep the vehicle. Now, we are determined as ever to make it into a true lifted Jeep!
During the winter months, we will be focusing a lot on interior work. The upgrades will vary depending on what is necessary and what looks cool. Mainly installing a new speaker system, floor mats and will most likely buy new material for the seats. We are really excited to take you guys along with us on our build and hope you send us updates on yours!