Do you want to make the Rear Subwoofer in your Jeep Wrangler JK sound a whole lot better for under $30.00, then stay tuned…
If you are like me and have the Infinity system in your JK with the rear subwoofer then you can upgrade it very easily. The rear enclosure it terrible. All plastic with no acoustic support and it can be made to sound a whole lot better with just a few minor, easy, changes. And best of all it does not cost a lot.
We are going to add some sound deadener noise insualtion and dampening material to the inside of the encolusure and some fill fiber.
We used the following two products to do this:
Noico 80 mil 10 sqft car Sound deadening mat, butyl automotive Sound Deadener, audio Noise Insulation and dampening material.
I bought this because it is a great price, highly rated, and is easy to install. We had plenty to do the rear subwoofer, the overhead speakers, and the front speakers. There was not enough to do 100% coverage on all the speakers but enough to help out immensly. Here are some of the specifications on the noise insulation mats.
- 80 mil automotive butyl and foil sound deadening on Amazon! Noico 80 mil is just $ 2,2 per 1 sqft! You are not just buying an excellent quality product but also saving more than 20 % comparing to Gtmat, Boom Mat and Extreme! It turns out to be more cost-effective solution than such brands as Dynamat Xtreme, Hushmat and Stinger RoadKill as well!
- Automotive self-adhesive insulation consists of butyl. Noico sound deadening has a total weight of 0.7 lbs/1sqft. This weight ensures maximum efficiency and sound insulation that could be possibly gained from 80 mil thickness material. Noico 80 mil is full weighted sound deadening material!
- Audio insulation Noico has a special indicator as to if it is installed correctly. The special embossing on the foil must be rolled out with a roller till it is plain smooth, then you’ll be 100% sure that the insulation is set correctly and professionally! The sound dampening material comes in handy size sheets which make it easier in terms of cutting and installation process!
- Sound deadening material specifications: Nominal thickness 80 mil; Total coverage area of 10 sq.feet; Number of sheets in the stack 10; Nominal sheet Size 14,5×10 inch. A roller is not included.
Dont forget the Fil, Poly-fil that is…
Then we got a bag of fill, and you should always get the Poly-Fil brand as it is the best. Dont mess around with other items. We got all of this on Amazon with free shipping and for about $30.00
Fairfield Poly-Fil Premium Polyester Fiber, White, 1 Bag, 12-Ounce
Then you will need a torx bit, bit driver, and a razor blade to cut the mats. And you are now ready to install.
The installation process:
- First we removed the subwoofer from the housing. All that took was six easy screws then it came right out.
- Then we cleaned everything inside as there was a lot of dust inside the enclosure.
- We took the sound dampening mats out and cut them to size and peiced them into the enclosure making sure to cover as much as we could.
- Now roll or press the triangle ridges till they smooth out and the mat is flat.
- In some cases the mats did overlap but we just smoothed it out and they adhered very nicely.
- When that is finished then you stuff as much of the Poly-fil as you can in the enclosure.
- Then install the subwoofer back into the enclosure.
- Crank up the stereo and enjoy the deeper bass and more PUNCH!
This is super quick and easy upgrade and is less costly then replacing it with a new Kicker sub woofer. You can use this same process on the front speakers in the dash, and the overhead speakers in the sound bar.
But we upgraded those speakers with some new Kickers and you can see that article here. So what are you waiting for, upgrade that rear sub woofer and be all about that bass you know you want!